Thursday, December 5, 2013

Revaluating Gamers: A Critical Analysis

   In the 2010 Ted Talk, "Gaming Can Make a Better World" speaker Jane McGonigal argues that games can be implemented in life to solve real issues. While I support the thesis of her claims and am inspired by her scientific evidence that her Better Life project can extend one's life, there are a few quotes by her that are extreme and need to be brought under scrutiny.

"we achieve more in game worlds"

This opinion is shared by a lot of gamers, but I feel as though it's unfair. Yes, while it's true that we can blow up tanks and save the world in games, one must keep in mind that it's virtual. Once you turn off the console, it doesn't matter anymore. One could argue the same for a life in the context of "once you die, it doesn't matter anymore," but it's all about the experience and real life provides the full thrill of experiences that gaming will never achieve. When I'm at a party dancing on top of a table, you better believe that shit is real, I am in the moment with full HD graphics, intense motion sensing, and unparalleled NPCs and when I fall asleep I feel most accomplished knowing that I was the one doing these things, not some avatar.

When I spend the day playing video games, I always fall asleep wishing I had accomplished more, and I know there are more out there like me who feel the same.

"[gamers are] motivated to do something that matters."

The things in video games don't matter, I can reset the game and it's like none of my actions had actually taken place.

"when we're in game worlds many of us become the best version of ourselves. The most likely to help at a moments notice. Stick with a problem for as long as it takes"

Absolute bullshit. The people in pvp games can be some of the lowest, vile people you meet and they can act this way because video games provide anonimity to it's users. People don't really have to take full responsibility for their words and they feel safe on the other side of a screen to do horrible things.

Not to mention if you enter pretty much any MMO and ask a simple question over world chat, you are more than likely to be subject to haughty comments and general smart-assery.

And lastly, gamers do not always stick with a problem for as long as it takes, rage quitting is a prime example. Heck, I just came from a League of Legends match where my teammates (myself included) felt like surrendering halfway through the match.

"we never have those feelings (cynicism anxious depressed) in video games."

See the previous example

"what about games makes it impossible to feel like we can't achieve everything."

If you're just doing this with video games, you're doing life wrong.

This is where I start to agree with Jane, people should be applying this to their every day lives, and they don't have to treat it like virtual reality to do so.

"It's [world of warcraft] just better than reality."

I challenge anyone who believes this to go clubbing in San Francisco with me for a night.

It's a silly movie, but its lesson has given me so much
Snowboarding, parkour, jet skiing, making love, these are all just some of experiences that video games cannot provide the full experiences or reward of.

Going back and rereading this, I feel as though I may come off with a sense of arrogance or cynicism towards video games to some audiences. For those who believe this is true, I only fight against the notions of video games being better than reality with such passion because this life that was given to is truly beautiful. It seems anyone (with some exceptions) who would rather waste a day indoors on a nice day is ungrateful to our gift of life.

If you have two legs and can breathe properly, do yourself a favor and drop the controller for a second to go outside. Video gaming has its place. I love playing Team Fortress 2, but everything needs balance. Meet up with someone you haven't heard from in a while. Think to yourself "what's one thing other than video games that I really want to do right now," and then do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment